But one would be wrong.
No matter what we do, we seem intent – at least lately, with the rare exception – on voting ourselves right smack into a deep hole. Quit digging, already, ‘Murka! What are you thinking?
Clearly, we’re not thinking clearly.
Okay, okay, okay…so we decided it’d be a great idea to put the Grand Ol’ Tea Party back in control of the U.S. House of Representatives.
Well, to be honest, we actually put the Huge Corporations and Richest One Percent of ‘Murkins in control of the U.S. House of Representatives. The Grand Ol’ Tea Party is just the front group.
But we thought this would be a good idea because we didn’t seem to like the efforts being made by President Obama and the Democratic congressional majority to fix the disasters left us by the Grand Ol’ Tea Party the last time they were in control.
Disasters…don’t like fixes…let’s try disasters again. Okay, got it. Aye, aye, cap’n…full speed into the hurricane!
Oh yea,…and we did this even though every poll indicates ‘Murkins hate the Republicans even more than they hate the Democrats. And this makes some twisted kind of sense when one considers this stat: 34 percent of all ‘Murkins blame bankers for the Great Recession; of those who blame the bankers, Republicans held an 11 percent advantage over Democrats.
So, let’s review. If indeed, these mid-terms 2010 were all about a referendum on President Obama, let’s review what ‘Murkins don’t like about what Obama has done in his first two years:
- We don’t like federal agencies being ordered to indentify and cut wasteful spending.
- We don’t like women getting paid the same wages as men.
- We don’t like ending the war in Iraq.
- We don’t like further research on embryonic stem cells.
- We don’t like funding science and research labs.
- We don’t like increased spending for crumbling bridges and roads.
- We don’t like increased spending for Internet access to schools.
- We don’t like new school construction money.
- We don’t like closing the Guantanamo gulag.
- We don’t like rescuing the U.S. auto industry.
- We don’t like that the economic bleeding was stopped and a slowly restoring economy.
- We don’t like trying to save mortgages from foreclosure.
- We don’t like ending torture.
- We don’t like stopping the spread of nuclear weapons around the world and attempts to account for weapons already in existence, reducing them.
- We don’t like better body armor for our troops.
- We especially don’t like efforts to reduce our man-made contributions to climate change.
- We sure didn’t like the Cash-for-Clunckers program because we used up all that money almost overnight.
- We don’t like busting Somali pirates on the high seas.
- We sure as hell don’t want every American to have access to good health care. Oh, hell no!
- We don’t like American Cubans being able to visit their families back in Cuba.
- We don’t like closing down offshore tax dodges nor getting the Swiss government to cooperate with U.S. officials on tax cheats who store money in Swiss banks.
- We don’t like ending tax breaks for corporations who move jobs to other countries.
- We don’t like tax cuts for ourselves.
- We don’t like lower drug costs for seniors.
- We don’t like consumer protections against predatory credit card companies.
- We don’t like children going to college.
- We don’t like peace in the Middle East.
- We don’t like more loans being made available to small businesses.
- We don’t like women on the U.S. Supreme Court, especially Latin women.
- We don’t like expanded health care for veterans.
- We don’t like holding Seders in the White House and we don’t like acknowledging Muslims.
And that’s just a partial list.
In short, we really don’t like progress and we don’t want our nation to change – ever!